Red and swollen gums, heavy drooling, sleepless nights, biting, grouchiness… all those symptoms at the one time can be exhausting – for you and for your baby. For many babies, cutting their first teeth may happen with no sign at all, but for many others it can be a slow and painful process, which is no fun for anyone. Rest assured though, this uncomfortable period won’t last. Remember, every child is different and will exhibit symptoms in a variety of ways depending on when their teeth come through.
So what can you do to get through this stage? We have come up with a checklist of helpful top teething tips to try:
1. If your baby develops a red rash on their chin and cheeks from dribbling, gently wipe it off with a soft cloth, but don’t rub as the area will be tender and could cause irritation. You could also apply a barrier cream such as paw paw cream on their chin which may help protect the skin from getting irritated.
2. If you notice your baby is producing runny poos, this will be because of the excess drool they are consuming. This can cause irritation in their stomach which is the reason. Sudocream comes in handy here – it is an excellent barrier cream.
3. Providing your baby with a teething toy to bite on may make them feel more comfortable. This can relieve pressure on their swollen gums. It is a good idea to have them handy everywhere you go – at home, the car, the pram etc. Check our large range out: http://littlewoods.net.au/product-category/teethers/
Simply rubbing a clean finger over sore gums can temporarily numb the pain in case you don’t have a teether handy. Just watch the biting of your fingers!
4. Anything cold will be soothing, so keep teethers in the fridge for extra relief.
5. trade your own jewellery for silicone necklaces. Babies love to play with these whilst you are wearing them and if they suck on them, rest assured they are completely safe and may provide temporary relief. We have a large range here: http://littlewoods.net.au/product-category/mama-necklaces/
Take comfort that the first few teeth are likely to be the worst. Issues associated with teething tend to decrease, at least until the molars start to come through. That’s unlikely to happen until after your baby’s first birthday, giving you and your baby time to recover from this difficult and stressful stage.
We currently have a special to buy a 4 pack of our exclusive teethers with free postage Australia wide! Check these out here: http://littlewoods.net.au/product/star-citrus-teether-pack-4/
Want a discount? Sign up to receive 10% off! Simply go to www.littlewoods.net.au and a pop up will display asking you to put your email address in – we will send you that code instantly! Super simple!