Has your baby started solids? Have you thought about exploring Baby Led Weaning (BLW)?
What is BLT??
Put simply, it means letting your child feed themselves from the very start of their weaning journey. It is a relaxed andunstructured approach where soft pieces of food are offered to bubs to hold in their hand, rather than being spoon fed by an adult.
We did BLT with both our daughters and I have compiled 5 tips to help you get started:
1. Wait until your baby is ready – you can gauge this by whether your baby is sitting in a high chair with good neck control. This is usually between the ages of 6 months – 9 months old.
2. Continue breastfeeding or formula feeding as this is your baby’s biggest source of nutrition.
3. Sit as a family – this is a great way for your baby to join in at mealtimes. You are setting a great example right from the beginning as this promotes socialisation and family time.
4. Give your baby soft foods – my personal favourites are banana, steamed carrots, steamed broccoli etc.
5. Expect mess! BLW can be a messy approach so you are going to need to accept the mess! Investing in bibs with good coverage that are easy to clean is key – our Wipe Away Bibs were designed for this purpose. Check them out here
There are a variety of benefits of BLT!
It supports the development of eye-hand coordination, chewing skills, dexterity, and healthy eating habits. It also offers babies an opportunity to explore the taste, texture, aroma, and colour of a variety of foods – and it teaches them how to know when they have had enough.
Have you seen our NEW weaning utensils? The First Tensil is a 2-in-1 spoon and fork to help your baby learn how to use a utensil on their own. It also helps them transition to a bigger utensil later on.
Grab one here!
What are some first foods you gave your baby?