As scientists become more aware of the chemicals that leech out of plastics, it is now more important than ever to reduce and eventually eliminate using plastics. Doing this has the potential to significantly improve your health and wellbeing.
There are so many health issues that arise from daily use of plastics, such as cancer, reproductive issues, immune system suppression and problems with childhood development just to name a few. So so scary…
I have compiled my top 5 tips on how to eliminate plastics in your daily life:
- Avoid fresh meat, fruit or vegetables wrapped in cling wrap. Most cling wrap contains Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC). This is known to disrupt the endocrine system.
- Avoid drinking from plastic bottles. Keep in mind that heating and washing these bottles can increase the amount of toxins that leaches out. Instead use a stainless steel, glass or silicone one.
- When cooking or reheating food in a microwave or oven, don’t use melamine, plastic, bamboo or low quality (FDA) silicone tableware. Instead, opt for glass, ceramic or premium quality (LFGB) silicone. You can view our safe range here
- Don’t give your kids plastic toys. Often they put them in their mouths, so you should opt for silicone, rubber or beechwood toys that are natural and non-toxic. You can view our range here
- Avoid using plastic lunchboxes. You want to reduce the exposure to potentially harmful chemicals leached from their lunchboxes, so buying one that is made from stainless steel is the best solution.
Going plastic-free isn’t easy, there is just so much of it out there. But looking for ways to avoid plastics altogether in your life will also help you avoid the nasty chemicals they carry. In turn, your health (and your kids health!) won’t be as compromised.
What other ways do you avoid using plastics in your home?