Let’s face it, life is busy! Often, we invest so much energy into feeding our little one’s healthy snacks that we can sometimes forget to fuel ourselves and keep us going strong throughout the day.
If you’re like me and get ‘hangry,’ then it’s so important to snack on good food throughout the day to stop that monster from rearing its ugly head!
Here are my top 5 healthy snacks for busy mums that I have on hand when my energy is getting low:
- Rice Cakes topped with salsa or ricotta. This is such a quick and easy one. If I choose to have it for lunch I will put avocado and tuna on them instead which is so filling.
- DIY trail mix – I don’t like the combos that are in the supermarkets, so I simply make my own (which actually works out to be cheaper when I buy in bulk). I like to pop together almonds, goji berries, dark chocolate, sultanas, cashews and dried apricots and keep them in a glass jar. I then portion out the amount I want each day.
- Green Smoothie if you follow me on Instagram you will often see my different recipes but my go to recipe is:
One frozen banana, a handful of frozen blueberries, 1 tablespoon of good quality peanut butter (I like Mayvers from Coles or Woolies), a handful of spinach, half a zucchini, 2 tablespoons Chocolate Greens Powder, 3 cups coconut milk. This feeds 3 people and I like to share this with my two little kids who LOVE it!
- This next one is a really great breakfast as well as an after-dinner snack, too. It’s so versatile. Greek Yoghurt with a handful of berries, nuts, oats and some fruit. So filling and satisfying!
- Baked Pears – simply cut up some left-over pears, pop into a buttered baking dish, top with honey and vanilla essence, more butter and bake for 20 minutes. This is amazing once it comes from the oven, but you can also refrigerate leftovers and pop them in the microwave the following day. This is my FAVE snack!
Have you tried any of these? Let me know what your favourite healthy snack is, I’d love to add it to my list!